Meet CBC’s New Marketing and Advertising Manager, Laura Falcon!
Tell about the work you do as the advertising and marketing manager at the Conservative Book Club.
I’ve only been working at CBC for two weeks, but my goal every day is to lead its online and offline marketing efforts and work with publishers to promote books on the CBC site. What’s cool about the job is I get to make advertising deals with publishers, implement them, and then analyze the ad metrics so I’m seeing the entire marketing process from start to finish. The job also allows me to really be creative, especially on the advertising side, which is always a plus for a creative writing major.
What got you interested in politics and the conservative movement?
I was born and raised in the DC area so I’ve been literally surrounded by politics my entire life. Naturally, everyone in this area cares about politics since so many people work in government jobs or do contract work for the government. My interest in politics really kicked off in high school as I got more familiar with social issues, mainly the pro-life movement. I grew up in a conservative household, but I wanted to understand why I believed what I believed so I started researching more. That research came in handy when I went to college and was surrounded by liberal ideology. Going to a liberal school was a great test for my beliefs and further proved to me why my beliefs haven’t faltered.
What books, authors, or conservative-themed books, influenced your political philosophy and outlook on life?
I’ll read anything by Ben Shapiro or Matt Walsh. Both give incredible, fact-based insight on the conservative movement and do a wonderful job picking apart liberal arguments with a good dose of snark. As for the overall package, I really look up to Dana Perino. I always appreciated her analysis of the news. She’s a wonderful role model, and in her book And the Good News Is…, she does a great job connecting with women pursuing jobs in politics by sharing her unlikely success story. And who doesn’t love hearing about Jasper?
Tell us a little more about yourself!
- Favorite Movie: The Lord of the Rings, Miracle, My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- Favorite TV Show: Sherlock, Game of Thrones, Seinfeld, House of Cards
- Favorite Food: It changes every day. I love just about every cuisine.
- Favorite Drink: Old Fashioned.
- Favorite Band: Simon and Garfunkel
- Where do you get your news from primarily? I’ll check all outlets, but I try to make it a habit to always read the original source or watch the original clip. The news is becoming more and more sensationalized and the only way to fix that is to find the answers yourself.
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Anywhere warmer than DC right now.
- What do you do for fun? I like exploring everything the DC area has to offer.