Episode #13: Rock Gets Religion – The Battle for the Soul of Rock ‘n’ Roll (Interview with Mark Joseph)
Learn how Christians are changing the face and music of rock ‘n’ roll, and how its effects are changing the soul of rock musicians and fans, with author Mark Joseph discussing his new book, Rock Gets Religion: The Battle for the Soul of the Devil’s Music. And rock star Alice Cooper wrote the foreword! Joseph is also the producer of the upcoming free speech documentary film, “No Safe Spaces,” which stars Adam Carolla and Dennis Prager.
- 3:30 It was easy for Christians to dismiss rock ‘n’ roll as “the devil’s music.” In Rock Gets Religion, Mark Joseph tells us about rockers who became Christians – and yet stayed in rock ‘n’ roll to transform it from the inside out.
- 4:30 Did you know that Alice Cooper and Van Halen’s Gary Cherone admired and followed the theologian R.C. Sproul?
- 5:27 Why do artists convert to Christianity – and not just switch to the Christian genre? Why did Alice Cooper’s pastor tell him to stay in rock ‘n’ roll?
- 8:45 Learn how American Idol democratized pop music and made it possible for Christians to break into and transform mainstream pop and rock music.
- 12:24 What lesson can Christians learn from the gay marriage advocates? We should stay in the public square and share our ideas – not withdraw into our own little bubble, says Mark Joseph.
- 17:56 How do we build unity and understanding in a deeply divided country? Mark Joseph says: “listen.”
- 18:45 In his upcoming documentary, No Safe Spaces, Mark Joseph discusses the threat to free speech in our society, collecting conservatives and progressive voices alike, from Jordan Peterson and Dennis Prager to Cornel West.
OUR GUEST AUTHOR – Mark Joseph
- Mark Joseph is a multi-media media producer who has worked as a music and film producer, columnist, and talk show host. Having produced the official soundtrack for The Passion of the Christ and anchored the Entertainment Report for Group W and CNN, Joseph is well connected and well versed in rock ‘n’ roll and the ways religion has impacted its many stars.
BOOK OVERVIEW – Rock Gets Religion
- In Rock Gets Religion, Mark explores the tensions caused when religious youth are thrown into the world of rock ‘n’ roll. He weaves thoughtful commentary amidst the stories of devout and not-so-devout rockers along with a warning about the inherent dangers of sanctifying rock.
- Snag your own copy of Rock Gets Religion HERE!
- Read more about Mark Joseph!
Former Van Halen singer Gary Cherone says:
“Mark Joseph has been a key voice in the transformation of American popular music. In this book, his final in a three-part series, he shows us how the transformation happened and outlines a vision for the future of the unlikely alliance of rock music and serious faith.”
IF YOU LIKED THIS EPISODE…
…check these out!
Make sure you never miss an episode. Subscribe to the Conservative Book Club Podcast below.
Tags: Adam Carolla, Alice Cooper, Dennis Prager, Mark Joseph, No Safe Spaces, Rock 'n' Roll, Rock Gets Religion