Episode #18: Conrad Black Interview: 12 Things You Didn’t Know About Trump
Media tycoon Conrad Black discusses his new book, Donald Trump: A President Like No Other, his friendship with him, and explains how Trump’s financial failings forged a president.
Bestselling presidential historian Conrad Black (Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom and Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full) has negotiated with Trump in business; he knows him as a perceptive, thoughtful, and amusing friend; and, as a presidential biographer, Black can place Trump in historical context and much needed perspective.
Yes, says Black, Trump can be the consummate showman. Yes, Trump believes in “truthful hyperbole.” And yes, few would have pegged Trump as a future president. But, as Black points out, that ambition had been building for a long time. Trump diagnosed what America’s ruling elite, in its arrogance, had ignored for more than twenty years—that it had mismanaged America’s affairs for the benefit of the few, the well-connected, and privileged identity groups, and not for the American people as a whole.
- 5:20 Learn how Trump built a 98-story building in Chicago for one of Black’s newspapers – the Chicago Sun Times!
- 7:00 Hear from Black how Trump dealt with the political and business world of Chicago, a place whose ethics are influenced by the mafia.
- 8:14 Trump didn’t coast on his family fortune, as so many accuse him of doing, but instead built up his business by his own ingenuity and business sense.
- 10:55 Discover how Trump dug himself out of debt and turned even his enemies into his friends!
- 13:20 How have Trump’s financial successes – and especially, his failures – made him the president he is today?
OUR GUEST AUTHOR – Conrad Black
- Conrad Black is a member of the British House of Lords, a financier, a former newspaper tycoon, and a celebrated historian and biographer.
- Black is a popular columnist for National Review, The New York Sun, and National Post.
- He lives in Toronto with his wife, the British journalist Barbara Amiel.
BOOK OVERVIEW – Donald Trump: A President Like No Other
- The Trump Conrad Black knows, and the Trump he portrays in his important new book Donald Trump: A President Like No Other is quite different from the media image of Trump. Each of the 12 chapters from his book tells a story about the current president and what made him the man he is today.
- Trump’s vow to make America great again is a sincere call for renewal. And amid the most hostile political climate since the Civil War, Trump has, against all odds, proved himself, by Black’s estimation, a successful, tenacious, and even visionary citizen-statesmen.
Emmy-award winning television journalist Mark Steines says:
Donald Trump: A President Like No Other is an admiring and undiluted biography. Every page has either a shrewd insight or a revealing detail – and often both – about the life of Donald J. Trump.
IF YOU LIKED THIS EPISODE…
…check these out!
Make sure you never miss an episode. Subscribe to the Conservative Book Club Podcast below.
Tags: Conrad Black, Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other, Donald Trump