Ep. 50 – Libations with Saint Nick (Holiday Interview with Author Michael P. Foley)
In a special holiday edition of the Conservative Book Club Podcast, join us for a fun author interview with Michael P. Foley as we discuss his new book, “Drinking with Saint Nick: Christmas Cocktails for Sinners and Saints.” We also discuss the great saints and their enduring legacies, and the spirit and miracle that Christmas is.
- 2:05 Michael Foley explains how he uses the church calendar to mix, pour, or pop open exactly the right drink for each day of the Advent and Christmas season!
- 3:45 Did you know Saint Nicholas’ Day isn’t December 26th, and that he’s the patron saint of sailors?
- 5:00 Foley says he grew up taking both “Catholicism and drinking seriously.” But whether or not you’re Catholic, you’ll love the drink for the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (December 8th).
- 7:55 “The War on Christmas” is real, says Foley, and has grown from “secularism gone awry.” Discover the solution, according to Foley: recalling a truly merry, Christian sense of Christmas.
- 10:40 In Drinking with Saint Nick, you won’t just get delicious drinks; you’ll also get historical context for each of the saints, and discover the world in which they lived!
- 12:45 Foley wants his readers to know not just what to drink, but how to drink. He gives us his five secrets to drinking like a saint: drinking with moderation, gratitude, memory, merriment, and ritual.
OUR GUEST AUTHOR – Michael Foley
- Michael Foley holds a doctorate in Catholic systematic theology and is an associate professor of patristics in the Great Texts Program at Baylor University. Before coming to Baylor, he taught at Boston College and the University of Notre Dame.
- Foley has published 150 essays and reviews in places such as First Things,The Latin Mass, and The Wall Street Journal. His interests include theology, political philosophy, film and popular culture, and the quest for happiness.
- Foley has authored several books Why Do Catholics Eat Fish on Friday? and Wedding Rites. He has also appeared on numerous radio programs as well as several Eternal Word Television Network programs, including “EWTN Live” with Fr. Mitch Pacwa and “Bookmark” with Doug Kreck.
BOOK OVERVIEW – Drinking with Saint Nick
- This book is your guide to drinking, entertaining, and spreading good cheer during the Christmas season!
- Michael Foley presents cocktail recipes and wine, beer, and cider recommendations that will keep hearths warm and parties joyful throughout the holidays.
- With stories about the history of St. Nicholas and other saints, as well as an advent calendar leading up to Christmas, this gift book is a must for anyone who starts stringing lights and playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. Let the Christmas games begin!
IF YOU LIKED THIS EPISODE…
…check these out!
Make sure you never miss an episode. Subscribe to the Conservative Book Club Podcast below.
Tags: Drinking with the Saints, Libations, Michael Foley, Saint Nick, War on Christmas