Episode #33 – Ken Starr Interview: Brett Kavanaugh, Robert Mueller, and the Legacy of the 90s Clinton Investigations
In this intimate and personal interview with Judge Ken Starr, he discussed his protege Brett Kavanaugh, whether or not Robert Mueller has exceeded his mandate in the Russian collusion investigation of Donald Trump, and his new memoir “Contempt” which analyzes the legacy of the Clinton investigations he led in the 1990s, and the personal toll that it took on him, his family, and our country. You’ve not heard this side of the story before!
- 2:25 Judge Ken Starr tells us about his former protege Judge Brett Kavanaugh – how Kavanaugh is not only “professional” and “brilliant,” but “a man of sterling character.”
- 7:00 You’ve heard of the Lewinsky scandal. Hear a story that’s never been told: how the independent counsel staff almost presented an indictment of Hillary Clinton to the grand jury of Little Rock, Arkansas.
- 9:50 Judge Starr tells us what he’d do if he could roll back time to the Clinton investigation of the 90’s: he’d fight to require a supermajority in the House and in the Senate to prevent conviction of impeachment on straight party lines.
- 12:00 What lessons can we learn from the special counsel investigation of the 90’s to apply to our situation today? That the oath counts, Judge Starr says, whether you’re president, witness, or grand juror.
- 13:15 Learn from Judge Starr what Monica Lewinsky said about Bill Clinton committing perjury – how Clinton didn’t think perjury was a crime; he thought it was “smart”!
- 16:10 Judge Starr tells us a personal story witnessing Judge Kavanaugh’s dedication as a judge and a defender of religious liberty.
- 17:35 Hear how Judge Starr and his family endured the scrutiny and the media flak thrown at him during the Clinton investigation, including the death threats received by his daughter as a freshman at Stanford.
- 21:20 Has Special Counsel Mueller overstepped his mandate? You might be surprised by Judge Starr’s answer.
OUR GUEST AUTHOR – Judge Ken Starr
- Ken Starr is a lawyer, former U.S. Solicitor General and federal judge, and former President of Baylor University. He is well recognized as the independent counsel who led the investigation into former U.S. President Bill Clinton’s relationship with Monica Lewinsky which ultimately resulted in Clinton’s impeachment.
BOOK OVERVIEW – Contempt: A Memoir of the Clinton Investigation
- Twenty years after the Starr Report and the Clinton impeachment, former special counsel Ken Starr finally shares his definitive account of one of the most divisive periods in American history.
- Contempt puts you, the reader, into the shoes of Starr and his team as they tackle the many scandals of that era, from Whitewater to Vince Foster’s death to Travelgate to Monica Lewinsky. Starr explains in vivid detail how all those scandals shared a common thread: the Clintons’ contempt for our system of justice.
- This book proves that Bill and Hillary Clinton weren’t victims of a so-called “vast right-wing conspiracy.” They played fast and loose with the law and abused their powers and privileges.
- With the perspective we’ve all gained over the past two decades, Starr’s story and insights are more relevant than ever.
IF YOU LIKED THIS EPISODE…
…check these out!
Make sure you never miss an episode. Subscribe to the Conservative Book Club Podcast below.
Tags: Bill Clinton, Bob Mueller, Brett Kavanaugh, Contempt, Hillary Clinton, Ken Starr, Monica Lewinsky, Robert Mueller