VIP BONUS Episode – “One Last Thing” with Dr. Bradley Birzer (In Defense of Andrew Jackson)
Check out our special VIP bonus podcast episode with Dr. Bradley Birzer, author of the newly released book In Defense of Andrew Jackson. In our special “One Last Thing” segments, we continue the interview in overtime specifically just for our VIP and VIP PLUS members! Join today to get access HERE.
- 1:13 What can we learn from Jackson’s era today? Hear what Dr. Birzer has to say about honesty and cynicism in politics.
- 4:30 Some people want to take Jackson off the $20 bill. Discover why Jackson is on the bill in the first place, and why we should fight against the dogmatism of political correctness.
OUR GUEST AUTHOR – Dr. Bradley Birzer
- Bradley J. Birzer is the co-founder of The Imaginative Conservative and Russell Amos Kirk Chair in History at Hillsdale College, where he has taught since 1999. He is also a Fellow of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.
- Dr. Birzer is also the author of Russell Kirk: American Conservative (2015, University Press of Kentucky), J.R.R. Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-earth, co-editor of The American Democrat and Other Political Writings by James Fenimore Cooper, and co-author of The American West.
BOOK OVERVIEW- In Defense of Andrew Jackson
- The tide of working class anxiety that drove Donald Trump into the White House is not a new, exclusively 21st century American phenomenon. For Professor Bradley J. Birzer, who teaches a class on “Jacksonian America” at Hillsdale College, today’s working class anxieties are all too familiar—as is the combative political climate, and the rise of a controversial president.
- Using diaries, letters, and newspaper columns from Jackson’s contemporaries—including John Quincy Adams, James Monroe, Henry C. Calhoun, Daniel Webster, and Alexis de Tocqueville—Birzer gives readers a radically new and historically true perspective on Andrew Jackson, while also drawing powerful parallels between the anxieties of Jacksonian America and the anxieties of the “Hillbilly Elegy” voting bloc of today.
- Check Dr. Birzer’s book out for yourself, and buy your own copy HERE!
- Read more about Dr. Birzer!
- Follow Dr. Birzer on Twitter! @bradleybirzer
Steven Hayward, author of The Age of Reagan, says:
Most discussion of Andrew Jackson falls into predictable ruts, defaulting automatically to cliches that reflect more on our own time than his. Whether America’s entering another Jacksonian period depends upon understanding the first one more clearly, and we have Bradley Birzer to thank for taking up the spirited defense of this complicated man and his legacy.
IF YOU LIKED THIS EPISODE…
…check these out!
Make sure you never miss an episode. Subscribe to the Conservative Book Club Podcast below.
Tags: Andrew Jackson, Bradley Birzer, Native Americans