Even if you’ve suspected your nightly news is slanted to the left, it’s far worse than you think. In this jaw-dropping expose, Emmy Award-winning broadcast journalist Bernard Goldberg reveals a corporate news culture in which the close-mindedness is breathtaking, and journalistic integrity has been pawned to liberal opinion.
In his three decades as a reporter and producer at CBS, Goldberg repeatedly voiced his concerns to network executives about the often one-sided nature of the news coverage. But no one listened to his complaints — or if they did listen, they did nothing about the problem. Finally, Goldberg had no choice but to blow the whistle on his own industry, to break the code of silence that pervades the news business. “Bias” is the result.
As the author reveals, “liberal bias” doesn’t mean simply being hard on Republicans and easy on Democrats. Real media bias is the result of how those in the media see the world — and their bias directly affects how we all see the world. In “Bias”, the #1 New York Times Best-seller, you’ll learn:
- How, on controversial issues, reporters simply regurgitate the propaganda of liberal pressure groups they favor
- The sacred but unspoken code of loyalty that makes the “news mafia” not unlike the real one
- The Peter Jennings test for classifying politicians — and how all the networks do it
- The network color bar — why so many “victims” on network news stories are blond-haired, blue-eyed, and middle class
- Why one high-level executive CBS News executive told Goldberg that of course the networks tilt left — but in the next breath said he’d deny the conversation ever took place if Goldberg went public
- One of the biggest stories of our time — and why you probably didn’t hear about it on the evening news
- How political correctness in network newsrooms puts “sensitivity” ahead of facts
- How newsroom “diversity” covers gender, color, sexual orientation — everything except point of view
- Anti-Christian bigotry: how media elites engage in it routinely behind the scenes (Example: the CBS producer who called Gary Bauer “the little nut from the Christian group”)
- The real reason media elites are “hopelessly out of touch with everyday Americans”
- Why media liberals honestly think of themselves as “middle of the road” — and everyone to their right as extremists
- How the gay lobby enlisted its allies in the media to foster the myth of a heterosexual AIDS epidemic, to spark demand for massive government AIDS spending
- How the media twisted (when they didn’t simply ignore) a major government study that found day care bad for children
- “Liberal Hate Speech”: dozens of outrageous quotes from media notables, revealing their shameless bias and frequent stupidity
- On 9/11, the media were at their best reporting the attacks. But a subtle bias pervades their efforts at explaining them
- How, in the minds of the media, “when liberals rant it’s called free speech; when conservatives rant it’s called incitement to terrorism”
- How shows like 60 Minutes and 48 Hours manipulate documentary footage to give their stories a liberal slant
- The real Dan Rather — a man who regards criticism of liberal bias as treason
- Case study: media coverage of the “homeless” problem before — and after — Bill Clinton became president
- How Goldberg’s professional life “was turned upside down” when he first wrote about liberal media bias in a 1996 Wall Street Journal op-ed
- How Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw tried to smear Goldberg as a “right-wing ideologue” — though he had never voted Republican!
If you ever suspected the network news was shortchanging the truth, Bernard Goldberg will not only prove you right, he’ll give you a glimpse of just how it’s done, and how fairness, balance, and integrity have disappeared from network television.
Tags: Bernard Goldberg, Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How The Media Distort The News